Your favorite salon may be closed because of COVID, but that doesn’t mean you can’t treat yourself to a little at-home self-care. Here are three quick, easy, and affordable beauty treatments to keep your skin glowing for the rest of 2021, and beyond.
- Better than Botox Skin Tightening Mask
Some people turn to Botox to tighten the skin, but ThisNairobi prefers a more natural method. Egg white masks have been used to tighten the skin for decades. Proponents of this mask say that the protein from the egg in the mask contributes to a level of skin tightening that can’t be beaten!
- 1 Egg White
- 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil (olive oil also works!)
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Crack the egg and separate the white (clear) portion of the egg from the yellow.
- Whisk the egg with a fork until a foam forms
- Add coconut oil and lemon juice and mix with fork once again
- Wash your face with cleanser or soap to remove all oils
- Pay your skin dry
- Apply egg white face mask with fingers in a circular motion
- Leave the mask on for 15min
- Rinse face with water and pat dry
- Apply moisturizer of choice
2. Tone Even-ing Mask
Let your natural skin tone shine! Dark Marks and hyperpigmentation are incredibly common. Though the first instinct is to cover up with expensive concealers and powders, a natural method is always better. The main ingredient in this mask is turmeric, a well-known root for even-ing out your skin tone.
*Please note that this IS NOT a skin lightening mask. This mask is only effective for fading dark marks and evening out your natural skin tone.
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of full-fat yogurt
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl
- Stir until well mixed and consistent in texture
- Apply mask with fingertips
- Leave for 20-30min
- Wash off mask with warm water (use olive oil, coconut oil or petroleum jelly to remove excess turmeric)
3. Aloe Vera Ice Cubes For Inflammation
Have you ever woken up to bloated, swollen, and tired-looking skin? What about bags under your eyes? We’ve got the perfect solution for you. Aloe vera is a natural anti inflammatory that helps moisturize the skin. By using this method, you’ll have the perfect weapon against inflammation.
- Aloe Vera gel or pure aloe leaf
- Ice cube tray
- Take the ice cube tray and spoon aloe vera gel into each section until the section is ¾ full
- Fill the rest with water and stir each section
- Apply to skin and under eyes in the morning as needed
Challenge yourself: use one of these masks 1-2 times a week to practice self care