Everyone loves rice. But did you know that that milky water you get when rice is soaked can be beneficial for hair growth?
Over the past few years, women have begun to utilize rice water to grow their hair with amazing results. The process is simple, the cost is cheap and the results are amazing. So a bag of your favorite rice brand, follow these instructions and watch your hair reach its full potential.
Rice Water Benefits
- 1. Hair Growth
- Rice water contains nutrients that are known to strengthen and grow hair. Active vitamins in rice water include vitamins B, C, and E. On top of this are amino acids that help with reversing hair damage.
- 2. Bounce and Shine
- Amino acids are super important for hair and nail growth. Rice contains amino acids and washing your hair in rice water coats your hair in them and strengths the hair at the roots.
- 3. Damage Prevention
- Have you ever heard of a protein treatment? Protein treatments are used to add a protective layer that strengthens strands and prevents breakage. As it happens, the rice water method extracts protein from rice granules.
When to use
Some women use this method once a week, during wash days. Others use it once every two weeks. We recommend starting with once every two weeks, watching the results and scaling up if you aren’t getting the growth that you want. Rice water should also be used after braid or extension removal to help strengthen hair.
How to Make
There are many ways to make rice water for hair, but our mothers never let us waste food, so we prefer the “no waste method“. See the instructions below:
- ½ cup of raw, white rice
- 2-3 cups of water
- A few drops of olive or coconut oil
- Spray bottle
- Shower cap
- Rinse your rice once on the day that you plan to make rice to eat. This first wash helps wash away anything that might be in the rice
- Soak the rice in 2-3 cups of water for 3-6 hours
- Pour the soaked water off into a jar or spray bottle and place it in the refrigerator for 24 hours
How to Use
- Shampoo your hair as you usually would
- After your final rinse, rinse your hair once again with rice water
- Leave the rice water in your hair for 10-20 min with the shower cap on to trap heat
- Wash the rice water out
Don’t expect instant results. Most people recommend using rice water for at least a month before seeing major growth. Be patient, keep it up, and watch your hair flourish.